Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Summer Almost Finished

I guess the foreshadowing for this summer started in October of 2009 when the Canadians bought Liquor Barn in Kentucky and I started having stomach cramps.  I predicted things would change and most of that came true by April and July of 2010.
When I was called into the boss's office on April 9th, 2010, I thought we were going to talk about upcoming changes and new opportunities not expecting to hear "your services are being out sourced and we no longer have a position for you."  What?  You look to your local management "friends" seeking support and some sort of explanation and all you get are eyes diverted looking away.  Thanks.  You showed your true colors and suckered me into your "friendship" after all these years that really was never there.  Angry?  Yes.  Moving on?  Trying but, still confused and very mistrustful of a few people and some more specific.
So you start all over and take a few weeks off to relax and digest what has happened then start looking for a new job.  When one has done some sort of theatre work for years and then spend 13 years in the retail liquor business new jobs are hard to come by.
Then, the stomach problems start up again. Pain and discomfort that can knock you down for a couple of days.  Go to the doctor.  They think it is a acid reflux problem.  Take a pill. OK. But wait, you turned 50 a few months back so why not have a colonoscopy to check everything out.  OK? Two times in less than four weeks and I am going to get reamed in the ass again.  Results?  Everything plumbing wise checks out just fine. Shew.
Then May 17th rolls around and it is time to celebrate 13 years of wedded bliss. I love you Diane.  Instead of a big vacation we decide to stay local and see the sights of Kentucky. Lots of fun capped off with a day trip canoeing down the Elkhorn Creek.  Thank you Canoe Kentucky
June and July roll along. Our annual July 4th of parades and fireworks with Tom and Michael is always fun and a great time.  Then we get to spend a wonderful weekend with our friends Kevin and Evelyn in Nashville.  We need to see them more often. 
Then one morning BAM!  I wake with a lower stomach cramp and pain like I have never had before.  Nurse Diane decides it's time to go to the Emergency Room and see what is causing all these problems. OK, I'm in pain, don't like pain, make it stop.  So, I spend four days in the hospital, the first two with no food or liquids just intravenous liquids and vitamins.  Someone please feed me!  So, what is this? I was having an acute pancreatic attack.  Dammit.  I guess 30 years of hard drinking and trying to live like a twenty something rock star is starting to catch up with me.  So now what?  Low fat and high fiber diet and STOP DRINKING!!!
Well that has been hard but making good progress. And today I feel better than I have in months. I need a CT scan at the end of August then wait for the results in two weeks. They found a cyst on my pancreas while in the hospital so they want to see if it has decreased after all this clean living. I hate waiting.
So the summer is coming to an end.  Local kids are back in school, UK will be starting soon and that brings back the football season and soon basketball.  GO BIG BLUE! So I'm thinking about writing and sending my thoughts about local theatre and local happenings out into the cyper space and see what happens.  Maybe a real job?  Peace and love until the next time.  ô¿ô

1 comment:

  1. I admire you Ralph! You hang in there, there is a better place and work for you, just hang in there. Rick

    ReplyDelete